Top Ways to Improve Your Libido
The human libido varies drastically from one person to the next, depending on several factors. These include everything from a person’s preferences to their hormones and brain function. Better Health Channel explains libido as a person’s sex drive or desire for sex. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong level, and it’s perfectly normal for a person’s libido to fluctuate regularly.
If you discover at some point that your libido has dramatically decreased with no signs of improvement, many factors could potentially be at fault. In this blog, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about your libido, including threats to your libido and the top tips on how to increase your sex drive for a happier, more enriched love life.
What Can Cause a Lowered Libido?
There are many different factors that can ultimately lower a person’s libido. And while the most common causes include different medical conditions and side effects of medication, there are other many other causes of a decreased libido, such as:
- Trauma – When a person experiences trauma, such as abuse, sexual harassment, rape, and sexual abuse, it can have a lasting impact on one’s sexual desire.
- Fatigue – While often mistaken for an excuse, persistent feelings of overtiredness and fatigue are likely causes of a decreased sex drive.
- Performance Anxiety – According to K Health, sexual performance anxiety is more common than many think. In fact, it affects 9-25% of men and 6-16% of women. Naturally, when a person doesn’t feel confident enough to participate in sex, they aren’t likely to desire it often either.
- Stress – Did you know that stress causes the body to create stress hormones like cortisol and catecholamines such as adrenaline and norepinephrine? After various studies, researchers have determined that these stress hormones can lessen one’s sexual desire.
- Familiarity – When a couple has been together for a long time, their familiarity with one another can eventually lead to a decrease in sexual desire between the two.
- Depression – Depression is a truly unpleasant condition to deal with as it affects the sufferer both physically and mentally. Beyond that, depression can also lessen one’s desire for sex.
What Can I Do To Increase My Libido?
If you’re dating or in a committed relationship and you’re experiencing a decrease in sexual desire, hope is not lost. Much like other health conditions and sexual issues, there are things you can do to counteract a low libido. According to Mayo Clinic, doing things as simple as regular aerobic exercise and even strength training can help.
As you can see, whether you prefer natural remedies or feel as though you could use medical intervention, there are solutions for all. Continue reading to learn more about the best ways to improve libido, as well as what potential medical treatment may look like.
Get Enough Sleep
GoodRx explains that there is a link between sleep and sexual desire. One study shows that a woman’s libido increased by 14% for each hour of sleep they got. If you cross over into the territory of having insomnia, you’re likely to experience further sexual dysfunction. If you’re experiencing a low sex drive and feel as though sleep could be the issue, try getting a few nights of good sleep and revisit the situation.
Communicate with Your Partner
Poor communication in a relationship is likely to cause low libido. Not only that, but it can also cause a decrease in satisfaction. Try to practice communicating with your partner about sex, even if it feels uncomfortable at first. By taking the time to communicate your needs and desires, as well as any insecurities that may exist, you can begin to improve your libido.
Mindfulness of pleasure is a practice that has you focus on the little things that bring your body comfort and pleasure. For instance, take little moments throughout the day to focus on a part of your body that’s resting comfortably or the feeling of a light breeze against your skin. In turn, those feelings of pleasure and excitement should begin to resurface in your life.
Today, there are several supplements on the market that are known to help improve libido. If vitamins and supplements are your things, the following come highly recommended for increasing your sex drive.
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Red ginseng
Mix Up Your Sex Life
As we mentioned earlier, familiarity within a relationship can be a factor in the level of sexual desire that exists. If you think this might be your problem, we recommend mixing things up a bit. For instance, why not try some new positions? Otherwise, you might consider working in some dirty talk or even toys. The possibilities are endless.
Seek Help From a Professional
If you employ the tips listed above and still feel as though your libido could use some help, it may be time to see a doctor. Once your doctor understands the specifics of your situation, they can begin making recommendations to improve your libido and bring joy back to your love life. Naturally, there are several ways for doctors to go about this, including counseling, relationship therapy, and medication.
Trust 247-Labkit with Your Sexual Wellness
Now that you know more about your libido and what you can do to improve your sex drive, are you taking care of your sexual health as well? According to the Centers for Disease Control, sexually active individuals should be tested for STDs/STIs at least once annually. At 247-Labkit, not only do we make it easy to get tested – you can do it from the comfort and privacy of your home. Learn more about our various at-home STD testing kits today, including everything from herpes and chlamydia to trichomoniasis and hepatitis.